PROGRAMME FOR A HUMANIST GOVERNMENT
Education, Peace & Progress for all
The Humanist Party of India (HP) is thankful to all Organizations and Individuals who participated in the preparation of the Humanist manifesto. We have formally adopted the People's Manifesto 2009 by the civil society organizations.
These proposals that the HP advances are a direction that the Humanist Government will develop and implement. The HP is well aware that such proposals always reflect the vision of its makers and the situation of society at the time of making the proposals.
Thus, the HP rejects fixed and closed blueprints which asphyxiate further developments according to the advancement of society and individuals.
Therefore, more than a formula, the HP programs will be pointers in the direction of humanization. In no case, programs will suffocate further corrections, debates, feedback or initiative, and the proposals will always take into account popular consensus and acceptance, rather than compulsion.
We invite our members and collaborators/supporters, to contribute to its enhancement. Humanist Party treats all humans beings as a central value. Hence, a suitable policy and environment will be built immediately to ensure that all citizens can live without fear and discriminations and with equal rights. We will guarantee life with dignity, freedom from fear of violence, and peaceful coexistence. We will ensure Equal rights to all sections of society, ending all kinds of discrimination existing today. This will be implemented immediately with top-priority.
The HP denounces the generational violence exercises on youth, which is held back by the monopoly of older generations in the organizational field and in the social decisions.
Thus, the HP asserts the youth's right and capacity for an active participation in the modification of the social and personal conditions imposed on youth, without being subjected to suspicion, marginalisation or persecution. Hence, the HP proposes:
- Abrogation of every legislation that limits the participation of youth.
- Integration of youth for any directive and decision-making post under conditions equivalent to those of any other individual.
- Reduction of working hours while maintaining equal salary for the young worker who studies or trains.
- Incorporation of youth in housing, production, service and consumption co-operatives with state credit.
- National and Asian integration of youth through scholarships for labour, student, cultural, political research and personal exchange.
The Humanist labour policy is oriented towards a model of society based on solidarity and cooperation. The following are some of the measures to be taken and implemented immediately.
- Jobs for all and a reasonable unemployment pay to those who cannot be given jobs immediately. Employment will be made a fundamental right. Enact National Minimum Wage Policy, ensuring that the daily wage worker gets a minimum living wage of Rs. 300 a day.
- Raising of salaries according to inflation levels.
- Participation of the labour sector in health, housing and education government projects.
- Single trade unions as per activity with participation of minorities.
- National confederation of workers.
- Election and assemblies in workplaces.
- Permanent labour training.
- Free organization of trade unions with social and cultural facilities.
- Promote rural development instead of developing only towns and cities.
- Provide Equal opportunity, Interest-free loans to small enterprise, encouraging Self-employment and Cooperative small-enterprise to overcome Unemployment problem.
- Ensure labour-rights and labour-protection by effectively implementing labour laws in private and public companies.
- Repeal Special Economic Zones Act and make industrialization more farmer-friendly, ensuring both land rights and opportunities for advancement in life and earning. No industry will be allowed on Agricultural land, unless agreed and participated by the land-holders. No acquisition of land will happen without the informed consent of the Gram Sabhas, local communities, farmers, particularly the women. We will not allow the creation of foreign territories on Indian soil.
Nowadays, women are discriminated against by centuries of legal, social, cultural, economic and psychological immobility. In order to overcome this situation, the HP will implement the following measures so as to promote women's participation to directive, consultative and decision making posts:
- State support of maternity in any civil status.
- Abrogation of every civil, penal and labour legislation that discriminates against women.
- Equal wages for equal work.
- Legal equality of marriages in law and de facto.
- We will ensure stringent and prompt action to punish those found guilty of sexual harassment in the work places and elsewhere.
- We will enact Domestic Workers law to ensure their rights, dignity and security and prevent exploitation by the agencies that recruit domestic workers.
- We will take stringent and prompt action to prevent the trafficking of women and children.
The Humanist conception of the state is one of decentralization, contrary to the ideologies that place it above the human being (its only meaning for existing).
Humanism warns of the danger of sustaining immobilistic models of the state - such as the liberal or the totalitarian - which correspond to capitalistic imperialism and social imperialism, respectively. Therefore, and corresponding to a dynamic conception of History, the HP deems it necessary to redefine the model of state, with the direct consultation and participation of all the people. For a transitional model of state, the HP proposes:
- We will take immediate steps to ensure equal participation of all sectors of society in the functioning of Real Democracy at all levels.
- Popular debate for reforming the constitution through referendum, plebiscites and popular veto, towards a direct democracy.
- Reduction of government interference in and monopoly of the mass media.
- All Public-interest information will be provided free of cost to people through the websites. RTI process will be made completely transparent, quick and accountable. No information can be kept away from citizens. All public officers (of all/any levels) must declare their assets/income and legal status every year in a pre-defined format enacted by the Parliament.
- Participation of people in actual daily working of the Government will be built and ensured without delay.
- All long pending griviences of people, Government employees and other sections of society will be met through war-footing resolutions by way of actual participation of all involved, without any discrimination and within the parameters of the Humanist policies.
- We will strengthen the office of Comptroller and Auditor General and Conduct periodic social audit of the all government departments as a public exercise.
- We will promote transparency and accountability in governance by effectively implementing of RTI both in the private and public sector.
- We will initiate and strengthen Lokpal, Lokayukta and form independent vigilant bodies at every governing structure to stop corruption and ensure transparency; Penalizing the bureaucrats, government officials including the members of judiciary and legislature, when found guilty of corrupt practices.
- We will speed up the judicial reforms to reach justice to the poor. We will appoint the vacant posts of Judges and clean up the corrupt system.
- Those communities and groups which are seeking political space in and through identity assertion movements, will not be perceived as a threat to national integrity and countered with arms, rather the state will dialogue acknowledging the needs and aspirations of the communities, bringing them into the mainstream of life.
- The state will be in charge of:
- Developing the basic industries,
- Administering the coordinating enterprises and organisms necessary to liberate the country in economic terms,
- Progressively decentralizing the national economy
- No Big dams. Small environment-friendly hydro-electric dams will be extensively built.
- Land for land, of atleast of the same quality, will be the basis for rehabilitation. Referendum & public hearings will be conducted before acquiring land from people, always ensuring the minimal quality of life for all involved.
- Ensure profit to all Farmers on their produce and provide Comprehensive Crop-insurance. We will promote agri-produce cooperatives for the better marketing of the agricultural produce.
- There will be no development at the cost of any section of society including the so-far deprived dalits and adivasis. We will stop development induced displacement and make necessary laws to ensure this.
- Ensure the participation and partnership of indigenous communities in the developmental process and make them owners of the land, water, forest and mineral resources; Recognize and acknowledge Indigenous Peoples' contribution to nation building.
- Create a Central University to develop and preserve dalit and adivasi culture, languages and identity.
THE STATE AND THE POLITICAL PARTIES
The function of the state will be that of:
- Guaranteeing the freedom of organization and expression of all the political sectors without any discrimination whatsoever.
- Providing the political parties with sufficient resources for their development and for keeping the population informed.
- Encouraging the popular clarification through the political parties.
- To modify the law of Political Parties (or whatever it is now) in order to overcome the organizational monopoly of a few parties, to make the financially accountable, to make their membership verifiable, etc.
- Enact laws to ensure the Upper age-limit for all Elected Political posts (President, P.M., Minister, C.M., Mayor, Governor, etc.) to be maximum 70 years.
- Enact laws such that no one can occupy an elected political post (President, P.M., Minister, C.M., Mayor, Governor, etc.) more than twice.
- Enact laws to ensure that a Referendum is taken, before deciding any major policy.
- Enact the "Law of Political Accountability" to ensure that every elected member will have to be compulsorily re-confirmed by the voters every 6 months. People will have the Right to recall their elected representatives at all levels under this law.
- Under the Law of Political Accountability, the Source of Funding of Campaigns, Candidates, and Parties will compulsorily be made public, alongwith Annual public declaration of Assets and legal/Criminal records of the Parties and their Candidates. "Clean politics equals corruption-free politics" in all respects. Healthy and Real Democracy has no place for hate politics. This will ensure Transparency in Politics.
THE STATE AND THE RELIGIONS
The state will be detached from religious matters providing freedom for all religious expressions and for atheism.
- Ensure implementation of suitable law and provide environment to immediately (within a year at the most) end all forms of communal and caste violence and to curb states/institutions overtly and covertly engaging in communal and caste violence. Take effective measures to deal with individuals as well as organizations involved in communal and caste violence.
- Ensure Equal rights to all sections of society, ending all kinds of discrimination existing today. This will be implemented immediately with top-priority.
- Ensure that all the victims, of all previous violence, are rehabilitated as dignified human beings without any delay.
- Ensure that Religion is kept strictly as a personal affair.
- Any attempt to offend religious sentiments, respect for the other or to distort the history and cultural diversity of India in the minds of young in educational system will be appropriately dealt with.
- Ensure equal respect for all cultures and religions without making them the point of differences and discrimination.
- Initiate unbiased and meaningful discussions with all arms-using groups and separatists tendencies, to ensure that all citizens of India get dignified life immediately, thus bringing them to the mainstream of life and socio-political activity.
THE STATE AND DEFENCE
- Ministry of Peace and Non-violence will be established by the Humanist Government to create the new consciousness of Peace & Non-violence.
- Agreements for a progressive and proportional reduction of armament supervised by other countries of the region.
- Non-alignment in defense matters (or any other).
- No to production and/or use of nuclear weapons.
- Progressive and proportional disarmament in the world.
- UN ban on military use of outer space and treaty against space weapons signed by the superpowers and other nations.
- Denunciation of the likely extinction of humanity by a nuclear war as an immoral threat imposed by the superpowers on the rest of the planet's population.
- Sincere and exhaustive use of all diplomatic means for promoting all sorts of possible cooperation among Asian countries as a means of building up mutual trust and as a pre-requisite for peace and disarmament.
- Government to renounce the use of violence for resolving any conflict.
- We will promote friendly relationship with neighbouring countries, bringing down defence budget and promoting national security by mutual dialogue.
- We will protect common persons from arbitrary arrest and illegal detention and being subjected to torture and inhuman treatment. We will abolish capital punishment, and remove the legal impunity that police and other agencies now enjoy.
- We will repeal 'The Armed Forces (Special Powers) Act' and all draconian laws like POTA, NSA, COFEPOSA, COCA etc. and dismantle 'Salwa Judum' immediately.
- We will stop using Anti terror law against the poor and minorities and human rights movements.
- We will ensure right to free expression, association, assembly and democratic dissent.
- We will promote peace and harmony across the multi-ethnic, multi religious, multi-cultural communities based on justice.
- We will bring the National Security expenditures and defence budget to a level lower than that of education and health care budget.
- No Nuclear arms. We will Cancel the 123 agreement. Comprehensive Peace and No-war agreements with all neighbouring countries will be initiated and proportionate disarmament of conventional as well as nuclear arms with a time-frame will be targeted.
- We will ensure the participation and partnership of indigenous communities in the developmental process and make them owners of the land, water, forest and mineral resources; Recognize and acknowledge Indigenous Peoples' contribution to nation building.
- Manual scavenging will be immediately abolished and alternative employment will be provided.
- We will provide homestead land to dalits and adivasis and ensure minimum of 3 acres of cultivable land to all.
- We will restore all the alienated lands of the tribals and other sections.
The Humanist Party understands education as an instrument at the service of people's formation and information, and culture as an instrument to create environments for expression and freedom. Therefore, the HP will propose a new cultural model which, though complementary, will be clearly separated from the educational model.
The Indian cultural renaissance and leap forward will start with the promotion of a great debate around the subject of which way of life and society people aspire for, since the building of such a society will be the instrument to be used for producing culture.
And within this context, there should be discussions around the outdated, violent, nihilistic cultures and the possibility of a leap forward that, acknowledging the positive contributions of the past, imagines not a return to the vedic ages, but an even more humane India of the future.
A new and complete image of the world is what is required, and not only some token modifications of TV programs or the film industry. Thus, regarding this subject, the HP disqualifies the proposals advanced by all the other parties, if any, as well as the cultural implications of their other policies, stands, and philosophies.
- Development of culture, parallel to the education of children.
- It will include the development of their motor abilities as well as their aesthetic sense through, for instance, arts, music and poetry.
- Promotion of cultural development of children and youth through diverse educational institutions and cooperatives.
- Government support for self-managerial cultural projects.
- Neither the country nor the states will be enclosed by a cultural chauvinism. An internal interchange among states as well as an international interchange will be promoted for a cultural debate.
- No cultural models will be imported.
- The mass media will be at the service of the cultural debate.
In order to produce the necessary re-structuring of education, a law will be promoted that will make compatible the national and state regulations with the demands of the present times. This law will arise from a great national debate, with the participation of teachers, students, graduates and parents, taking into account the following general principles:
- Free & Compulsory Secular Education of equitable quality to all from nursery stage to Class XII, as Fundamental right of all Citizens. Common school system as per 1966 Kothari Commission recommendations will be implemented, providing additional funds for the same. The Humanist Government should not shirk its constitutional responsibility to provide education for all. We will establish and support a mechanism to assess quality of education.
- Co-government of students, teachers and administrative staff, including parents at the elementary level.
- Modification of teaching methods, banning authoritarianism, compulsion and separation of sexes.
- Guarantees for freedom of conscience and non-discrimination for students. And, in order to guarantee indispensable conditions for education:
- Stability, just retribution and objective selection of teachers and administrative staff.
- Construction of new educational buildings.
- Improvement of the teachers to students ratio.
- Free distribution of texts and materials, canteens and hostels for students.
- Free transportation.
IN THE UNIVERSITY
- Decentralization of universities, establishing colleges and polytechnics in the areas relevant to the subjects taught.
- Four-party co-government (students, teachers, administrative staff and state).
- University canteens.
- University cooperatives for consumption, credit, production, housing and research.
- Increase of scholarships and subsidies.
- Creation of fully cooperative colleges supported by the government, where no capitation fees will be levied.
- Accountability of capitation fees in private colleges.
STATE AND JUSTICE
Humanism is based on a conception of the human being and society whose highest value is life. Thus, coercion, punishment and death applied by some on to others are repugnant to Humanism. Especially, if the intention of the punishment is to give an exemplary penalty to an individual or social behavior.
- We will guarantee life with dignity, freedom from fear of violence, and peaceful coexistence.
- There will be no death penalty in the Humanist Government.
- Law of Political Accountability and Law of Political Parties.
- Quick trials.
- Free legal assistance and comprehensive improvement of the judicial system.
COOPERATION AND NATIONAL ECONOMY
In a program of transition from the present economic system (mainly capitalistic) towards a future cooperative system, it is necessary to develop a self-sufficient national economy and based on modern science and technology. Cooperativism, such as proposed by the HP, is a whole program of economic and political renewal which will begin with the modification of the present law of cooperatives.
These modifications and the experience of cooperative development will be the reference in order to raise cooperativism to the level of a political and economic system, which will be the system of Humanism.
- To modify the present law of cooperatives in order to restore their genuine cooperative characteristics, prevent distortions, etc.
- Promotion of genuine cooperative banking.
- To achieve industrial development independent of multinational corporations.
- To overcome poverty and unemployment by promoting cooperatives in all economic fields.
- Government support for turning into cooperatives the bankrupt (sick) enterprises or those which compromise the present or future of their workers/employees.
- Promotion of a national industry useful to the domestic and Asian markets.
- Equal opportunity, Interest-free loans to small enterprise, encouraging Self-employment and Cooperative small-enterprise to overcome Unemployment problem.
- No to speculative activities of earning money from money.
- Generation of regional centers of development through settlement of industries in the areas where raw material is produced.
- Promotion and development of renewable and alternative energy resources.
- Commercialization of the agricultural production through genuine cooperatives that eliminate intermediaries.
- Development of infrastructure for a regional storage of resources.
- We will provide excellent standard Public transport system for the whole country at affordable rates so that people can travel comfortably without personal vehicles.
- We will provide Transportation and Communication facilities to 100% population with comfort and on affordable rates on no-profit basis.
- It will be the top priority of Humanist Government to prioritize the basic amenities/living standards of life, for 80% population that is below poverty line.
- Extensive research and usage of Solar, Wind and Fusion technologies for sourcing energy needs will be undertaken.
- Rights to tribals living in forest areas.
- Promotion of species of industrial utility.
- Recuperation of soil, substitution of felled trees and expansion of forests.
- Cooperatives for exploiting wood.
- We will ensure Adivasi access to forest and Non Timber Forest Products (NTFP) and dalit, traditional communities' access to common property resources.
- Creation of fishing harbours and ports along the whole coastline with a parallel development of cold storage industries.
- Creation of cooperative shipyards.
- Traditional fishing rights as mentioned in Coastal Regulation Zone will not be amended and diluted. Coastal Management Zone will be scraped by the Humanist Government.
- Rights to tribals living in mining areas.
- Creation of mining and oil drilling cooperatives coordinated and advised by the state in technical matters.
- Promotion of mining towards the substitution of imported minerals and increase of exports.
- Development without taking loans from the IMF or the World Bank.
- To leave the discriminatory WTO and work for an equitable non-discriminatory global trade and currency system.
- Common Asian Market
- Creation of an organization integrated by representatives from governments, political parties and trade unions of the different Asian countries in order to research on, plan and coordinate the regional economy.
- Cooperation for technological development.
- Elimination of customs barriers among Asian countries for products that affirm the zonal independence.
- Exploration of common natural resources in solidarity.
- Creation of a government organism that guarantees the free trade with all countries in collaboration with national cooperatives and enterprises.
- Incentive to exports according to priorities of the national economic policy.
- Orientation towards substituting imports of basic industries and those related to health with national production.
- Elimination of all unessential imports.
- Guarantee of seriousness in the commercial export dealings.
FOREIGN CAPITAL AND INTERNATIONAL BANKING
- Application of foreign capital in specific areas of national interest under strict safeguards and security for the country.
- Nationalization of the foreign banking and commerce.
- Special treatment for Asian banks and financial/institutions that are integrated to the regional economy.
- No sell-off of National banks and other PSUs.
The HP will carry out an international policy of solidarity and non-violence, based on these principles.
- Respect for the free determination of peoples and for non-intervention.
- Pacific relationship will all countries.
- International activism in solidarity with those countries struggling for their liberation.
- Progressive and proportional disarmament of the world and the region.
- "No" to the use of nuclear energy since its dangers have been adequately proven to be far more than any benefits that may have been there.
- Signing of permanent peace treaties.
- Accelerated and proportional demilitarization of the region.
- Elimination of Asian customs barriers.
- Asian Common Market.
- Asian Parliament with representation of political parties.
- Permanent commission of Human Rights with a character or Asian Tribunal.
- To link the signing of the Non proliferation treaty (NPT) to the signing of treaties for denuclearization of Asia (Indian Ocean), progressive and proportional reduction of armament, etc.
Health, made of profit making instrument within an inhuman system and, therefore outside the reach of a great sector of the population, should become the right independent of the individual economic situation.
- We will take immediate and effective measures to prevent starvation deaths, suicide by farmers and traditional crafts workers, deaths of malnourished children and women particularly in rural areas.
- We will enact laws to promote food security and protect food sovereignty through comprehensive farmer/landless peasants/agricultural workers centric agrarian reforms.
- We will make the PDS, a transparent and well-functioning system to provide food security to the weaker sections of society, including millets, pulses and edible oil.
- We will make the old age and widow pension Schemes more effective and operational.
- We will ensure quality and free health-care to all with special focus on rural areas, women and children.
- We will revitalize the largely non-functioning Primary Health Centers. We will establish AIIMS standard of hospitals in all districts of the country within 5 years, connecting them to the PHCs for live consultations.
- We will give priority to promote indigenous and alternative health care system and provide financial and institutional support for research in this area, integrating them into the Integrated Health system for the Nation as a whole.
- We will ensure safe drinking water to all people across the country, since most of the diseases are water-borne. We will treat water as a National and common resource and stop all privatization or sale of water bodies like river, tanks, ponds etc., making it freely available to all.
- Solution of health problems related poverty like child malnutrition, infections illness etc. as the first priority.
- Integral planning of health integrating government services and community services, until achieving a system of free social medicine.
- Free medicines provided by Government and community services.
- Participation of technicians, professionals, users medical students and the Government in a plan to overcome hunger and malnutrition.
- Elimination of hospital fees.
- Immediate increase in the budget for health.
- Promotion of technological development for enlarging the national pharmaceutical industry.
- Promotion of cooperative laboratories for achieving self-sufficiency in medicines.
- To eliminate unnecessary intermediation in the commercialization of medicine.
- Elimination of medicine which do not comply with safety regulations and controls.
- Construction of new hospitals of the size/expertise level of AIIMS in all districts within five years.
- Increase in the public attention in the hospitals and clinics.
- Elimination of repressive medicine: closing of mental asylums and creation of open assistance centers.
- Social health insurance for the unemployed.
- Elimination of outdated and inhuman medical treatments (e.g. electroshock).
- Cooperative community social services (trade unions, etc.)
- Asian Cooperation for technological research and development.
The housing policy will aim at fulfilling the constitutional right for a dignified housing through plans impelled by cooperative systems and government action. It will tend to solve, to begin with, the urban and rural settlements in emergency situations, which lack minimal living conditions. At the same time, an integral plan will be developed in order to solve the national housing deficit.
Especial importance will be given to the technology, resources, labour and materials of the region. Professionals, students, technicians and users will have participation in the planning designing and construction, tending towards a progressive decentralization.
- Housing is a human right. We will provide minimal basic Housing for all.
- Discouragement of unoccupied housing.
- Encouragement and protection for renting.
- Promotion and protection for cooperative housing projects.
- Close collaboration of universities, cooperatives and government for the design, direction and construction of housing.
- Design of a minimal model for a house which take also into account the aspects of services, transportation, medical facilities, schools, etc.
- Credits for improving and enlarging existing houses.
- Law of proportion between family income and rent.
- Close cooperation and exchange with the non-aligned countries regarding indigenous housing technologies.
- Law of preservation, conservation, improvement and recuperation of the environment, penalizing the ecological crime.
- To diminish and prevent urban environmental pollution.
- Preventive programs in areas of recurrent natural disasters.
- Development project will not be sanctioned at the cost of environmental damage.
- We will actively support and expand organic farming, and ban with immediate effect the Genetically Modified seeds.
- We will strictly implement the environment protection laws as they apply to industrial effluents and disposal of hazardous materials.
- We will appoint a commission to look into the effect of alcohol and tobacco products on the health of the nation and formulate policy on their sale with the purpose of eventually banning them.
SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
The Humanist Party considers the breakthroughs and developments in science and technology as the patrimony of humanity. Therefore, the laws of patents and licenses will be modified, promoting sharing of knowledge as the key factory in all areas of science & technology.
- Coherent coordination of scientific and technological plans with the social, cultural and economic areas.
- Sustained development in this area through the permanent capacitation of our youth and the coordination of foreign technological transfers.
- Promotion of state and district initiatives.
- Interdisciplinary institute for the coordination and development of sciences.
- Strong promotion to the teaching of informatics.
- Data banks at all levels.
- Scientific and technological cooperation with Asian and non-aligned counties and whenever there are no political and military strings attached to that cooperation.
- Science and technology will be primarily directed towards improving the living conditions covering the basic needs and raising the levels of education and information.
There has been enough violence caused by all sides. The HP believes that a "Healing touch" is necessary and calls on all people struggling against the state to leave the path of violence and join the Humanist forces, to build the Humanist society for all. Violence is not the way out and this has been adequately demonstrated in the society. "An Eye for and Eye will leave Everyone blind" needs to be well understood by all. Since the Government, run by the corrupt, will not change its ways and will continue creating terror, it is the moral-responsibility of common-honest people to change the Government through Non-violence and build a just system for all.
Tuhin Kumar Dutta
589,Behind Krishna Cinema